Enterprise & Regulatory Reform Bill (Part 2-employment), House of Commons, second reading
12 June 2012
enterprise regulatory reform bill second reading House of Commons ( 65kb)
This briefing sets out the views of Citizens Advice on Part 2 (clauses 7-17, and Schedule 2) of the Enterprise & Regulatory Reform Bill, published on 23 May 2012. The briefing covers:
- Pre-claim conciliation by Acas (clauses 7-9, and Schedule 2).
- Rapid Resolution of simple, fact-based ET claims (clause 10).
- Capping unfair dismissal compensatory awards (clause 12).
- Financial penalties on losing respondent employers (clause 13).
- Enforcement of unpaid ET awards & Acas settlements (not in the Bill).
This briefing sets out the views of Citizens Advice on Part 2 (clauses 7-17, and Schedule 2) of the Enterprise & Regulatory Reform Bill, published on 23 May 2012.
Part 2 of the Bill implements some of a package of reforms to the employment tribunal (ET) system on which the Government consulted in early 2011.
Other elements of the package were implemented in April 2012 by means of the Employment Tribunals (Constitution & Rules of Procedure)(Amendment) Regulations 2012 and the Unfair Dismissal & Statement of Reaons for Dismissal (Variation of Qualifying Period) Order 2012. The provisions in Part 2 of the Bill must also be viewed in the context of the Government’s current proposals in respect of substantial fees for ET claimants, on which the Ministry of Justice consulted in late 2011.
In 2011/12, the 400 independent advice centres in England & Wales that constitute the CAB service dealt with some 6.9 million problems brought by some two million people, including 523,500 employment-related problems.
1. Resolving Workplace Disputes, January 2011:http://www.bis.gov.uk/Consultations/resolving-workplace-disputes