The MoneyActive project, funded by Nationwide Building Society developed financial capability volunteering in bureaux over three years between 2009-2012.
The MoneyActive project met and exceeded targets:
- 1,700 volunteers involved in the project
- 57,300 end users and frontline workers trained in group sessions
- 6,300 people attended one-to one sessions
- 204,900 reached by the project to date
- 1,230 partner organisations supported
- One third of volunteers leaving the project have moved into employment, education or training
- 4.4 million visits to money management information available to everyone through the Citizens Advice online resource Adviceguide.org.uk
Training by volunteers
One hundred and forty bureaux across England and Wales have recruited and trained over 1,700 MoneyActive volunteers. MoneyActive volunteers have delivered training to individuals and groups on topics such as the real cost of credit and starting to save. The recruitment of volunteers through the MoneyActive project has significantly boosted the capacity of bureaux to embark on and expand their financial capability work. Volunteers have also gained skills and confidence from being involved in the programme.
Short film about MoneyActive
Improving money confidence
An independent evaluation has shown that people taking part in MoneyActive sessions were more confident at managing their money after the training. Sixty-five per cent of people taking part said they felt fairly or very confident about managing their money after the training, compared to just thirty-seven per cent before the training.
Spreading money know-how
As well as directly training people in the community MoneyActive has built on the strong relationships that Citizens Advice Bureaux have with many local organisations as volunteers deliver money management sessions to their frontline workers. It has also enabled bureaux to develop new partnerships and extend their reach into new groups, making communities more aware of the services offered.
Once frontline workers have received money know-how training they can spread their knowledge and are better equipped to help their clients.
Please email the Financial Capability team