Northern debt advice line
Citizens Advice – free, confidential debt advice by telephone
0300 33 33 445
We provide free, independent and confidential debt advice to anyone living in the North East (Durham, Northumberland, Tees Valley, Darlington, Middlesbrough, Tyne and Wear, Gateshead, Newcastle, Sunderland) or Cumbria (Carlisle, Keswick, Windermere, Kendal, Ulverston, Penrith, Barrow in Furness, Whitehaven). Please do not call if you are not eligible for this service.
The advice line is staffed by specialist debt advisers who provide a full debt management and advice service, dealing with all kinds of debt problems including urgent debt matters and bankruptcy.
Specialist debt advisers can:
- talk through the options available to you based on your situation
- help you to prioritise your debts to make sure that the most urgent issues are dealt with promptly
- help you to budget accurately to work out how much you can afford to pay
- negotiate with creditors on your behalf.
- refer you to see a face to face advisor at your local Citizens Advice Bureau
The advice line is open 9am – 5pm, Monday to Friday; calls from landlines or mobiles are charged at standard local call rates and will be included in any free calls/minutes bundle that you may have. A call-back facility is available.
We have been able to launch this new service thanks to £1.5 million funding provided by the Northern Rock Foundation.