Citizens Advice response to BIS Select Committee report on debt management
7 March 2012
Gillian Guy, Chief Executive at national charity Citizens Advice said:
"We’re pleased to see that the Select Committee has listened to us.
More and more people are being offered payday loans that they simply can’t afford, and being sucked into further debt. Rollovers and up-front fees should be restricted as soon as possible.
The Committee is also right about a stronger code for fee-charging debt management companies. It should be easier for people to compare paid-for advice providers and get more free debt advice. Citizens Advice helps over two million people every year with their problems - many of which concern money and debt. And our advice remains free."
Notes to editors:
- To contact the Citizens Advice news team call the press office on 03000 231 080, or via email at email@example.com.
- The Citizens Advice service comprises a network of local bureaux, all of which are independent charities, the Citizens Advice consumer service and national charity Citizens Advice. Together we help people resolve their money, legal and other problems by providing information and advice and by influencing policymakers. For more see the Citizens Advice website.
- The advice provided by the Citizens Advice service is free, independent, confidential, and impartial, and available to everyone regardless of race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, age or nationality.
- To find your local bureau in England and Wales, visit citizensadvice.org.uk. You can also get advice online at adviceguide.org.uk
- You can get consumer advice from the Citizens Advice consumer service on 03454 04 05 06 or 03454 04 05 05 for Welsh language speakers
- Citizens Advice Bureaux in England and Wales advised 2.3 million clients on 5.4 million problems from October 2013 to September 2014. For full 2013/2014 service statistics see our quarterly publication Advice trends
- Citizens Advice service staff are supported by more than 21,000 trained volunteers, working at over 3,000 service outlets across England and Wales.