Citizens Advice response to OFT’s off-grid market study
19 October 2011
Citizens Advice Chief Executive Gillian Guy said:
"It’s outrageous that some heating oil companies are raising their prices after people have placed an order. That’s like telling people the food they’ve just finished eating in a restaurant was more expensive than it said on the menu. So we’re glad the OFT is getting hold of this problem.
"But we also want to see greater protection from being cut off. Our clients have had suppliers siphoning oil out of their tanks when they can't paytheir bill, leaving them in real danger of freezing. That’s got to stop."
Notes to editors
- The Citizens Advice service comprises a network of local bureaux, all of which are independent charities, and national charity Citizens Advice. Together we help people resolve their money, legal and other problems by providing information and advice and by influencing policymakers. For more information in England and Wales see www.citizensadvice.org.uk
- The advice provided by the Citizens Advice service is free, independent, confidential, and impartial, and available to everyone regardless of race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, age or nationality. For online advice and information see www.adviceguide.org.uk
- Citizens Advice Bureaux in England and Wales advised 2.1 million clients on 6.9 million problems from April 2011 to March 2012. For full 2011/2012 service statistics see our quarterly publication Advice trends
- Out of 22 national charities, the Citizens Advice service is ranked by the general public as being the most helpful, approachable, professional, informative, effective / cost effective, reputable and accountable (nfpSynergy’s Brand Attributes survey, May 2010).
- Most Citizens Advice service staff are trained volunteers, working at around 3,500 service outlets across England and Wales.