About our bailiffs campaign
Every year, tens of thousands of people experience unacceptable and sometimes aggressive harassment at the hands of bailiffs. For decades Citizens Advice called on successive governments to do something about these out of control bailiffs, but little action was taken.
Evidence from our bureaux across England and Wales showed many cases of bailiffs overstating powers and behaving aggressively. In an analysis of over 400 cases of private bailiffs collecting debt, 39 per cent of private bailiffs threatened to force their way into people's properties and 29 per cent threatened to seize goods belonging to someone else - neither of which they have the power to do.
Our campaign called for the following:
- Tighter regulation of the bailiff industry.
- Creditors, including local authorities, to work with people in debt - to exhaust all options available before bailiff action is taken.
- Consumers to know their rights regarding bailiffs
- More about bailiffs and what they do
- Our response to the Government's proposals on transforming bailiff action
For more information on what reform has been promised and what has been delivered, as well as the action Citizens Advice has taken around bailiffs since the 1990s, download our bailiffs timeline [ 210 kb].
Need advice about bailiffs?
For more information on bailiffs, including what they can and cannot do, visit our self help website Adviceguide.