Find out about scams awareness month
Get involved with scams awareness month
Scams Awareness Month is all about creating a self-supporting network of confident, alert, consumers. People ready, willing and able to spot scams.
Whether you’re an individual consumer looking to protect yourself and family from scams or an organisation or group representing consumers, your efforts during Scams Awareness Month 2017 are important because they will help spread the message that scams can be tackled if we take our time to spot the signs and share what we learn with others.
Citizens Advice and Trading Standards Services are leading activities throughout the month of July as part of Scams Awareness Month.
Across these pages you can:
- Discover the common types of scam.
- Find out how to spot a scam.
- Learn how to report a scam.
- Understand how Trading Standards can help.
You can also visit our Scams Awareness Month campaign page at scams.citizensadvice.org.uk.
What can you do to tackle scams
There are three things that you can do if you suspect that you are the target of a scam:
- GET advice from the Citizens Advice consumer service 03454 04 05 06 who can provide advice and pass details on to trading standards.
- REPORT scams or suspected scams to Action Fraud: 0300 123 2040 www.actionfraud.police.uk.
- TELL a friend, neighbour or relative about any scams you become aware of.
Be scam aware!
Bad news on the doormat
This powerful film produced by Citizens Advice Bristol hears the moving story of Raymond who was conned out of £3000 by ruthless scammers. Over a three year period he was targeted with thousands of letters advertising fake lotteries. Now he says: "It makes you angry and sick." It's rare to get such a powerful first hand account of these cruel crimes because victims often feel ashamed and isolated. YouTube format The film marks postal scams week - part of Scams Awareness Month which takes place throughout July.
You can get advice about scams by calling the Citizens Advice Consumer Service Helpline: 03454 04 05 06