Brilliant Energy customers’ supply to continue as normal, but Ofgem must “urgently move forward” with supplier reforms, says Citizens Advice
Citizens Advice, in its role as the official consumer champion for energy, has responded to news that Brilliant Energy Supply Limited has ceased trading. Brilliant Energy also supplied customers of Northumbria Energy under a ‘white label’ arrangement.
Gillian Guy, Chief Executive of Citizens Advice, said:
“Brilliant Energy and Northumbria Energy customers’ gas and electricity will continue as normal and Ofgem will appoint a new supplier soon. Customers should take a meter reading and wait until a new supplier is appointed before switching, otherwise they risk losing any potential refunds.
“The failure of another supplier is a clear sign Ofgem needs to urgently move forward with its reforms to better monitor existing companies and take action earlier when problems arise.
Consumer advice contact
Customers can find more information on the Ofgem or Citizens Advice websites. Customers unsure of their next steps can contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 03454 04 05 06. Please note, this service operates Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
Notes to editors
- Citizens Advice includes the national charity; the network of independent local Citizens Advice charities across England and Wales; the Citizens Advice consumer service; and the Witness Service.
- Citizens Advice is the statutory consumer advocate for energy and post. We provide supplier performance information to consumers and policy analysis to decision makers.
- The Citizens Advice Witness Service provides free, independent support for prosecution and defence witnesses in every criminal court in England and Wales.
- Citizens Advice offers Pension Wise services at 500 locations in England and Wales.
- Citizens Advice’s services are free, independent, confidential and impartial, and available to all regardless of race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, age or nationality.
- To get advice online or find your local Citizens Advice, visit citizensadvice.org.uk
- For consumer advice, call the Citizens Advice consumer service on 03454 04 05 06 or 03454 04 05 05 to talk in Welsh.
- We helped 2.6 million people face to face, by phone, email and webchat in 2017-18. For service statistics see our monthly publication Advice trends.
- Citizens Advice staff are supported by over 23,000 trained volunteers, working at over 2,500 locations in England and Wales.