British Gas and EDF Energy announce price cuts
Citizens Advice has today said that cuts to gas prices will offer some relief to households but they will have to wait until March to feel the benefit.
Citizens Advice has responded to news today that British Gas will cut 5.1% cut to all its gas tariffs from 16 March and EDF has announced they will reduce gas prices by 5% from 24 March.
Citizens Advice Chief Executive Gillian Guy said:
“For too long people have been missing out on the benefits of falling wholesale prices.
“The price cuts announced by British Gas and EDF Energy will help to bring people’s bills down but they will have to wait until March before it comes into effect.”
Notes to editors
- The Citizens Advice service comprises a network of local Citizens Advice, all of which are independent charities, the Citizens Advice consumer service and national charity Citizens Advice. Together we help people resolve their money, legal and other problems by providing information and advice and by influencing policymakers. For more see the Citizens Advice website.
- The advice provided by the Citizens Advice service is free, independent, confidential and impartial, and available to everyone regardless of race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, age or nationality.
- To get advice online or find your local Citizens Advice in England and Wales, visit citizensadvice.org.uk
- You can get consumer advice from the Citizens Advice consumer service on 03454 04 05 06 or 03454 04 05 05 for Welsh language speakers.
- Local Citizens Advice in England and Wales advised 2.5 million clients on 6.2 million problems in 2014/15. For full service statistics see our publication Advice trends.
- Citizens Advice service staff are supported by more than 21,000 trained volunteers, working at over 2,500 service outlets across England and Wales.