Citizens Advice response to OFT’s off-grid market study
Citizens Advice Chief Executive Gillian Guy said:
"It’s outrageous that some heating oil companies are raising their prices after people have placed an order. That’s like telling people the food they’ve just finished eating in a restaurant was more expensive than it said on the menu. So we’re glad the OFT is getting hold of this problem.
"But we also want to see greater protection from being cut off. Our clients have had suppliers siphoning oil out of their tanks when they can't paytheir bill, leaving them in real danger of freezing. That’s got to stop."
Notes to editors:
- The Citizens Advice service comprises a network of local bureaux, all of which are independent charities, the Citizens Advice consumer service and national charity Citizens Advice. Together we help people resolve their money, legal and other problems by providing information and advice and by influencing policymakers. For more see the Citizens Advice website.
- The advice provided by the Citizens Advice service is free, independent, confidential, and impartial, and available to everyone regardless of race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, age or nationality.
- To find your local bureau in England and Wales, visit citizensadvice.org.uk. You can also get advice online at adviceguide.org.uk
- You can get consumer advice from the Citizens Advice consumer service on 03454 04 05 06 or 03454 04 05 05 for Welsh language speakers
- Citizens Advice Bureaux in England and Wales advised 2.3 million clients on 5.4 million problems from October 2013 to September 2014. For full 2013/2014 service statistics see our quarterly publication Advice trends
- Citizens Advice service staff are supported by more than 21,000 trained volunteers, working at over 3,000 service outlets across England and Wales.