Citizens Advice to help those applying to the government’s Windrush compensation scheme
Citizens Advice is launching a new service funded by the Home Office to help those who are applying to the government’s Windrush compensation scheme.
Citizens Advice advisers will help with the compensation claim forms, giving support over the phone and in person.
From 15 April 2019, the charity will start accepting referrals for clients from the Home Office in certain parts of the UK, and the service will be fully rolled out across the UK from the end of April.
Gillian Guy, Chief Executive of Citizens Advice, said:
“We are pleased to be able to offer assistance to the Windrush generation who may need help applying to the Home Office’s compensation scheme.
“This service is available to people living in the UK, and those who are overseas, once they've called the government's Windrush Helpline. Our advisers will be able to assist people as they complete their compensation application forms, giving support over the phone and in person.
“This new service for the people affected goes alongside the help we offer to anyone who needs advice, whoever they are, whatever their problem.”
Notes to editors
- Citizens Advice is made up of the national charity Citizens Advice; the network of independent local Citizens Advice charities across England and Wales; the Citizens Advice consumer service; and the Witness Service.
- Together we help people resolve their money, legal and other problems by providing information and advice and by influencing policymakers.
- The advice provided by the Citizens Advice service is free, independent, confidential and impartial, and available to everyone regardless of race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, age or nationality.
- Last year we helped over 2.7 million people face to face, by phone, email or web chat. For full service statistics see our monthly publication Advice trends.
- Citizens Advice service staff are supported by more than 23,000 trained volunteers, working at over 2,500 service outlets across England and Wales.