Customers “miss out” as SSE misses smart meter targets, say Citizens Advice
Citizens Advice, in its role as the official consumer watchdog for energy, has responded to Ofgem’s announcement that SSE will pay £700,000 for failing to meet its 2018 gas smart meter installation target.
Gillian Guy, Chief Executive of Citizens Advice, said:
“When suppliers don’t hit their targets it’s customers who miss out. It’s only right that it’s firms who pay the price when this happens.”
“Smart meters will provide benefits to consumers. They put the customer in control - whether that’s by more accurate billing or helping them consider how to reduce the amount of energy they use.
“The deadline for smart meters to be installed in all homes and small businesses by the end of 2020 remains unrealistic. It should be extended to 2023.”
Notes to editors
- Citizens Advice includes the national charity; the network of independent local Citizens Advice charities across England and Wales; the Citizens Advice consumer service; and the Witness Service.
- Citizens Advice is the statutory consumer advocate for energy and post. We provide supplier performance information to consumers and policy analysis to decision makers.
- The Citizens Advice Witness Service provides free, independent support for prosecution and defence witnesses in every criminal court in England and Wales.
- Citizens Advice offers Pension Wise services at 500 locations in England and Wales.
- Citizens Advice’s services are free, independent, confidential and impartial, and available to all regardless of race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, age or nationality.
- To get advice online or find your local Citizens Advice, visit citizensadvice.org.uk
- For consumer advice, call the Citizens Advice consumer service on 03454 04 05 06 or 03454 04 05 05 to talk in Welsh.
- We helped 2.6 million people face to face, by phone, email and webchat in 2017-18. For service statistics see our monthly publication Advice trends.
- Citizens Advice staff are supported by over 23,000 trained volunteers, working at over 2,500 locations in England and Wales.