E.ON has responded to the needs of prepay customers, says Citizens Advice
E.ON has responded to the needs of prepayment customers with a Smart prepay option that offers alternative ways to top up and the same monthly prices that direct debit customers pay, following Citizens Advice’s Fair play for prepay campaign.
The energy company has today launched a Smart prepayment meter pilot, with Smart Pay As You Go being made available to 30,000 eligible E.ON customers in 2015. They have estimated that Smart prepayment customers could save up to £104 per year by switching to the cheapest tariff available.
Gillian Guy, Chief Executive of Citizens Advice said:
"For too long energy prepay customers have had a second class service. E.ON's new Smart prepay meter scheme should make topping up easier and charges the same as direct debit customers.
"The ball is now in the rest of the energy industry's court to improve its offering to prepayment customers. As it stands pay as you go customers pay an average of £80 more a year on their fuel bills and many can only top up by going to a nearby store. The approach is outdated and it is time all of the big suppliers brought their prepayment services into the 21st century. Smart meters can provide clever solutions but energy firms should ensure standard prepay meter customers have a cheaper and better service too."
Notes to editors
- The Citizens Advice service comprises a network of local bureaux, all of which are independent charities, the Citizens Advice consumer service and national charity Citizens Advice. Together we help people resolve their money, legal and other problems by providing information and advice and by influencing policymakers. For more see the Citizens Advice website.
- The advice provided by the Citizens Advice service is free, independent, confidential, and impartial, and available to everyone regardless of race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, age or nationality.
- To get advice online or find your local bureau in England and Wales, visit www.citizensadvice.org.uk.
- You can get consumer advice from the Citizens Advice consumer service on 03454 04 05 06 or 03454 04 05 05 for Welsh language speakers
- Citizens Advice Bureaux in England and Wales advised 2.1 million clients on 6.6 million problems from April 2012 to March 2013. For full 2012/2013 service statistics see our quarterly publication Advice trends