Spark Energy customers “have no need to worry”, says Citizens Advice
Citizens Advice, in its role as the official consumer champion for energy, has responded to news that Spark Energy has ceased trading.
Gillian Guy, Chief Executive of Citizens Advice, said
“Spark Energy customers have no need to worry, there will be no interruptions to their gas and electricity. A new supplier will be appointed by the regulator Ofgem in the coming days who will be in touch soon.
“The advice to Spark Energy customers is not to switch supplier now, as they risk losing any refunds they might be due and to take up to date meter readings.
“The failure of two suppliers in a week is yet more evidence that this is a market where firms must have robust finances and sound business models. Ofgem’s announcement of proposals to tighten the rules for new energy suppliers is positive news. But there are poorly performing suppliers in the market now that require the regulator’s attention.”
Consumer advice contact
Customers can find more information on Ofgem or Citizens Advice websites. Customers unsure of their next steps can contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 03454 04 05 06. Please note, this service operates Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
Notes to editors
- Citizens Advice includes the national charity; the network of independent local Citizens Advice charities across England and Wales; the Citizens Advice consumer service; and the Witness Service.
- Citizens Advice is the statutory consumer advocate for energy and post. We provide supplier performance information to consumers and policy analysis to decision makers.
- The Citizens Advice Witness Service provides free, independent support for prosecution and defence witnesses in every criminal court in England and Wales.
- Citizens Advice offers Pension Wise services at 500 locations in England and Wales.
- Citizens Advice’s services are free, independent, confidential and impartial, and available to all regardless of race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, age or nationality.
- To get advice online or find your local Citizens Advice, visit citizensadvice.org.uk
- For consumer advice, call the Citizens Advice consumer service on 03454 04 05 06 or 03454 04 05 05 to talk in Welsh.
- We helped 2.6 million people face to face, by phone, email and webchat in 2017-18. For service statistics see our monthly publication Advice trends.
- Citizens Advice staff are supported by over 23,000 trained volunteers, working at over 2,500 locations in England and Wales.