Financial capability for older people
HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) funded a programme of financial capability training for frontline workers who work with older people.
A successful pilot in 2006-7 developed two sets of financial capability training materials on tax and related issues. The materials were aimed at frontline workers working with older people and frontline workers supporting migrant workers, so they in turn could help their clients. The pilot also included grant funding to selected local Citizens Advice across England, Wales and Scotland to train local frontline workers using the materials.
A full independent evaluation Talking about Tax: evaluation of a financial capability training project for frontline staff working with migrant workers & older people was conducted by the National Institute of Adult Continuing Education (NIACE).
Those reached by the project include:
- housing workers from a range of housing associations and agencies
- local Neighbourhood Projects
- British Legion and other forces and veterans groups
- Age Concerns, Shelter Older Persons Support, University of the Third Age and other local older people's advocacy and engagement groups
- a range of other local organisations in the community such as Gloucestershire Chinese Association, Beauly Angling Club, Fortrose and Rosemarkie Golf Club, Inverness Nordic walking group, Voluntary and Community Action Trafford, and Croxteth Advice Centre and Havering Asian Women's Association
- care and disability support organisations including Parkinsons UK, Trafford Carers Centre, DIAL Southend, and Highlands Chest Stroke and Heart Service.
Please email email@example.com