Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

If your Universal Credit payment is wrong

This advice applies to England

You should be told if there’s been any changes to the amount of Universal Credit you get - usually by a letter.

Contact the Universal Credit helpline if:

  • your payment is less than you expected and you haven’t been told why
  • you think there's been a mistake with how your Universal Credit has been worked out

Universal Credit helpline
Telephone: 0345 600 0723
Textphone: 0345 600 0743
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

Calls to this number can cost up to 9p a minute from a landline, or between 8p and 40p a minute from a mobile (your phone supplier can tell you how much you’ll pay) - you can call and ask them to call you back.

If you think there’s been a mistake, you can ask them to look at the decision again. There’s a different process if you’ve been sanctioned.

It’s a good idea to give them some evidence of the mistake if you can, for example:

  • your rental agreement if they have your housing costs wrong
  • payslips or bank statements if there’s been an error in your earnings (ask your employer for payslips if you don’t have them)
  • childcare bills if they have your childcare costs wrong

Common reasons for getting less Universal Credit

Your payment might be less than normal for the following reasons:

  • you’re paying back an advance payment, hardship payment or budgeting advance
  • you’ve started having money deducted for bills or rent
  • you’ve been sanctioned - find out what to do if you’ve been sanctioned
  • the Jobcentre previously paid you too much - this is called an ‘overpayment’ and you’ll usually have to pay it back
  • you’ve had income from work
Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?
Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.