Skip to content Skip to footer

Get help and support from the witness service

It is not unusual for people to feel anxious about giving evidence in court.

Before and during the trial you can get free help and support from the Citizens Advice witness service, which is separate from the police, the Witness Care Unit and the Crown Prosecution Service.

How the witness service can help

We have trained volunteers who will help you before you go to court. You can talk to us in confidence (though we're not allowed to discuss your evidence with you) and we'll make sure you get all the information and support you need, either from us or from other organisations.

There will be a volunteer at the court on the day too, so even if you don’t want any help in advance, they’ll be there to offer support if you need it.

We can arrange for you to visit the court before the trial, so you know what to expect on the day and you’ll have an opportunity to ask us any questions.

We’ll be there on the day of the trial to keep you updated and help with any problems. If you like, we can come into the court with you, so you won’t be alone.

Contact the witness service

When you gave your statement to the police, they may have told you about the witness service and asked if you’d like us to get in touch with you. If this is the case, one of our staff or volunteers will call you 3 to 4 weeks before the trial.

If you said no at the time, but have changed your mind, you can still get support at any time before or during the trial - just ask the police or your witness care officer to let us know, or contact us.

You can get support from the witness service by completing our form or by calling 0300 332 1000. 

We'll get back to you within 2 working days.

Family and friends

If a family member or friend will be coming to the court with you, we can give them support too.

Did this advice help?