Skip to content Skip to footer

Common issues - relationship breakdown and housing

This section deals with some common questions about the family home when a relationship breaks down. It also gives information on occupation orders which can be used to protect rights to the family home in the short-term.

Can you change the locks?

The limited circumstances when you can change the locks on the family home if your relationship breaks down.

Can you make your partner leave?

The limited circumstances when you can be made to leave the family home following a relationship breakdown.

Occupation orders

Occupation orders, what they can do and what a court looks at when making them.