Skip to content Skip to footer

This advice applies to England. Change country

Benefits changes timeline

There are many changes to benefits starting from April 2013.

Use this timeline to help you check what's changing at a glance.

whenwhich benefitwhat's changing
1 April 2013Housing Benefit logoHousing Benefit 'bedroom tax' for social housing tenants is introduced. Housing Benefit will be reduced for working age people who have an extra bedroom under the new rules.
1 April 2013Council Tax Benefit logo

Council Tax Benefit is replaced by localised Council Tax Reduction schemes. Each council will run their own scheme.

In England, pensioners will be protected, but most other people who used to get full help are likely to have to pay something towards their council tax bill.

1 April 2013The Social Fund logo

Parts of the Social Fund will be abolished, including Community Care grants and Crisis Loans.

In England, local authorities will be given money to spend on local schemes which could include things like food banks and schemes providing subsidised furniture and white goods.

8 April 2013Personal Independce Payment logo

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is introduced in Cheshire, Cumbria, Merseyside, North East England and North West England.

PIP is a new benefit for people who are very ill or disabled and who have trouble getting around or need help with day-to-day living. It will eventually replace Disability Living Allowance.

15 April 2013benefit cap logo

The Benefit Cap starts in four local authority areas - Bromley, Croydon, Enfield and Haringey.

The Benefit Cap means some people of working age will have a limit on the amount of benefit they can get. At first, this will only affect you if you're getting Housing Benefit. Later, it could also affect you if you're getting Universal Credit.

29 April 2013Universal Credit logo

Universal Credit starts in one pilot area - Tameside, in the North of England.

Universal Credit is a new single benefit which will replace most means-tested benefits paid to working age people in and out of work.

For new claims, couples where one partner is of working age and the other has reached Pension Credit qualifying age will have to claim Universal Credit rather than Pension Credit.

10 June 2013Personal Independce Payment logoNo more new claims for DLA will be accepted. You'll have to apply for PIP Instead.
beginning of JulyUniversal Credit logoUniversal Credit starts in three other pilot areas - Wigan, Warrington and Oldham.
15 July 2013benefit cap logoBenefit Cap national roll-out begins.
end of September 2013benefit cap logoBenefit Cap roll-out completed in all areas.
October 2013Universal Credit logoNew claims for Universal Credit start being rolled out to other areas of the UK.
2014 - 2017Universal Credit logoWorking-age people on other means-tested benefits will gradually be transferred to Universal Credit.
October 2013 - March 2016Disability Living Allowance logoSome people getting DLA will be asked to make a new claim for PIP instead. Your DLA will stop if the new claim is unsuccessful.
October 2015Disability Living Allowance logoThe DWP will start contacting anyone still getting DLA and invite them to make a new claim for PIP. If you don’t claim or if your claim is unsuccessful, your DLA will stop.

Next steps

  • More about the benefits changes
Did this advice help?