Skip to content Skip to footer

This advice applies to England. Change country

Housing Benefit - bedroom calculator for social housing tenants

If you rent your home from the council or a housing association, your Housing Benefit may be reduced. This could happen if you're of working age and your home is larger than you need. This is also known as the 'bedroom tax', the ‘under-occupancy charge’, the ‘social sector size criteria’ and the ‘removal of the spare room subsidy’. Read about:

Work out how many bedrooms you'll be entitled to. Enter the details of all the people who live in your household and select 'Continue'. Required information is marked with an asterisk (*).

The decision tree is currently held on another Citizens Advice website. You may need to enable javascript for this to work.

Take me to the bedroom calculator