Neidio i’r llywio Neidio i’r cynnwys Neidio i’r troedyn

Council Tax Reduction - the decision

Mae’r cyngor hwn yn berthnasol i Cymru

If you're on a low income, you may be entitled to some help towards paying your council tax. This is called a Council Tax Reduction (CTR).

If you're awarded CTR, you won't normally receive an actual payment. Instead, your award will be used to reduce the amount of council tax you have to pay.

Top tips

If you are worried that you will not be able to pay your council tax, you may be able to apply for other help with the bill.

Council Tax Reduction - what you need to know

Once the local authority has all the information or evidence it needs, it must make a decision on your application for Council Tax Reduction (CTR) within 14 days, or as soon as is reasonable after that.

The local authority must tell you in writing when it has made the decision.

The decision notice must contain the following information:

  • your rights to a written statement of reasons
  • your right to appeal
  • information about how the CTR has been calculated.

You can ask for a written statement of the reasons for the decision. You should do this, in writing, within one month of the date of the notification.

The statement of reasons for the decision should be sent to you within 14 days, or as soon as is reasonable after that time.

If you disagree with the decision

If you are not satisfied with the decision on your application, you should write to the local authority and say what you think is wrong.

The local authority must consider your appeal and tell you in writing what it decides.

If you are still not satisfied when you have received the local authority's decision on your appeal, or, if they have not replied within two months of your appeal, you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal for Wales.

If you think the decision on your Council Tax Reduction application is wrong, you should consult an experienced adviser, for example, at a Citizens Advice Bureau.

  • To search for details of your nearest CAB, including those that can give advice by email, click on nearest CAB

Other help from your local authority

In 2013/14 the Welsh Government funded extra help from local authorities for pensioners. This funding will not be continued.

Local authorities can still allow discretionary reductions to pensioners and non-pensioners. If you ask the local authority to make a discretionary reduction off the bill, you will need to explain why you need help. They can allow a reduction if they are satisfied that you need help, whether or not you qualify for a CTR.

Next Steps

A oedd y cyngor hwn yn fuddiol?
Pam nad oedd y cyngor yn fuddiol?

Dywedwch fwy wrthym am pam nad oedd ein cyngor yn helpu.

A oedd y cyngor hwn yn fuddiol?

Diolch i chi, cyflwynwyd eich adborth.