Neidio i’r llywio Neidio i’r cynnwys Neidio i’r troedyn

Letter to complain about energy mis-selling

Mae’r cyngor hwn yn berthnasol i Cymru

If you're having problems about how you were sold gas or electricity and you're not getting your issue dealt with, you can put your complaint in writing and request a resolution to the problem. You can contact your old or new supplier. If you're not happy and the contract was signed 14 days ago, you can get the contract cancelled with your new supplier.

This is an example letter and may not suit your specific situation.

If you need more detailed advice or guidance, contact the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline.

A oedd y cyngor hwn yn fuddiol?
Pam nad oedd y cyngor yn fuddiol?

Dywedwch fwy wrthym am pam nad oedd ein cyngor yn helpu.

A oedd y cyngor hwn yn fuddiol?

Diolch i chi, cyflwynwyd eich adborth.