Response to Competition and Markets Authority updated statement of issues
- Citizens Advice response to Competition and Markets Authority updated statement of issues [ 490 kb]
- Improving the energy industry codes [ 220 kb]
- Summary of energy trust polling [ 0.86 mb]
The Competition and Markets Authority is conducting an enquiry into the energy industry. This submission provides our response to the Competition And Markets Authority consultation on its updated issues statement published on 18 February. Citizens Advice’s view is that the inquiry needs to deliver in two key areas:
- The first is around public understanding and trust in the sector.The cost drivers behind price movements have been a source of near-constant public dispute for many years now, with the result that the vast majority of consumers, rightly or wrongly, simply no longer believe what energy companies have to say on the issue.
- The second is on the essential nature of the service. Energy is not a luxury, therefore the market must work for all sectors of society.