Citizens Advice responds to Octopus Energy taking on Avro Energy customers
Citizens Advice in its role as the official watchdog for energy consumers has responded to the announcement of Octopus Energy taking on Avro Energy customers.
Gillian Cooper, Head of Energy Policy for Citizens Advice, said:
“Having a new supplier should remove some uncertainty for Avro Energy’s 580,000 customers. Their credit balances will be carried over and their new supplier, Octopus Energy, will let them know what their new tariff will be.
“Anyone struggling to pay their bills must be supported and Octopus Energy must make sure that any debt repayment plans Avro Energy customers may have been on before are continued.
“It’s important they continue to provide the Warm Home Discount to all customers who previously received it from Avro Energy. It’s up to the Government and Ofgem to work with suppliers to ensure this happens.”
Notes to editors
- Citizens Advice includes the national charity; the network of independent local Citizens Advice charities across England and Wales; the Citizens Advice consumer service; and the Witness Service.
- Citizens Advice is the statutory consumer advocate for energy and post. We provide supplier performance information to consumers and policy analysis to decision makers.
- The Citizens Advice Witness Service provides free, independent support for prosecution and defence witnesses in every criminal court in England and Wales.
- Citizens Advice offers Pension Wise services at 500 locations in England and Wales.
- Citizens Advice’s services are free, independent, confidential and impartial, and available to all regardless of race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, age or nationality.
- To get advice online or find your local Citizens Advice, visit citizensadvice.org.uk
- For consumer advice, call the Citizens Advice consumer service on 0808 223 1133 or 0808 223 1144 to talk in Welsh.
- We helped 2.6 million people face to face, by phone, email and webchat in 2017-18. For service statistics see our monthly publication Advice trends.
- Citizens Advice staff are supported by over 23,000 trained volunteers, working at over 2,500 locations in England and Wales.