Neidio i’r llywio Neidio i’r cynnwys Neidio i’r troedyn

After you get refugee status

Mae’r cyngor hwn yn berthnasol i Cymru

If you’ve claimed asylum and been given refugee status, Asylum Support will stop 28 days after the decision. It’ll stop 21 days later if you’ve been getting ‘section 4’ support.

This means you’ll:

  • stop getting your cash allowance (usually £36.95 per week)
  • have to move house - if you’ve been given somewhere to live as an asylum seeker

Once you’ve got refugee status, you’ll get permission to work in the UK - in any profession and at any skill level. If you’re not ready or able to look for work and have very little or no income, you can apply for welfare benefits instead.

You’ll also have to think about opening a bank account and getting a National Insurance number.

Find a new home

If you’ve been living somewhere as part of getting Asylum Support, you’ll have to move within 28 days of getting refugee status.

If you can’t pay for housing yourself


Contact UK NARIC if you have qualifications from your home country - you’ll need to find their UK equivalent to find a similar job here. It costs at least £55.20 to do this.

Claiming benefits

You may be entitled to welfare benefits in the UK even though you’ll stop getting Asylum Support.

So you have a better idea, you might be entitled to benefits like:

  • Income Support - if you’re learning English (for at least 15 weeks) in order to find employment, and you’ve been in the UK less than a year
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance - if you can prove you’re looking for work
  • Employment and Support Allowance - if you’re unable to look for work because of a mental or physical disability
  • Pension Credit - if you’re over working age
  • Universal Credit - if you’re in certain areas of the UK
  • a refugee integration loan - to help pay for a rent deposit, household items, education and training for work

You’ll need a National Insurance number to claim benefits - you’ll have applied for one at your interview with the Home Office when you first claimed asylum. You’ll also need it to pay tax and register with a doctor - everyone who works or studies in the UK has one.

Get a National Insurance number

Normally, you’ll get your National Insurance (NI) number through the post just after you get refugee status.

If you haven’t received a NI number, call the National Insurance number application line. Ask whether they’ve issued you with a NI number - if they haven’t, ask what you need to do to get one.

Opening a bank account

Now that you have an immigration status, you’re allowed to open a UK bank account. It makes things like paying for food and bills much easier.

It should be an easy process if you have proof of your immigration status, but some banks may not have seen a biometric residence permit before. It’s a legal and valid form of identification (ID), no matter what they tell you. If they don’t accept it, print this page out and take it along to the bank.

A oedd y cyngor hwn yn fuddiol?
Pam nad oedd y cyngor yn fuddiol?
A oedd y cyngor hwn yn fuddiol?

Diolch i chi, cyflwynwyd eich adborth.