Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

How to complain to your postal provider

This advice applies to England

If you’re unhappy with any of the services or products of a postal provider, you can make a complaint. All postal providers must have a complaints procedure in place. You should follow these procedures to make sure your complaint is resolved as quickly as possible.

This page explains what you need to do to make a complaint to your postal provider.

Royal Mail isn't the only postal provider in the UK and there are other companies that deliver mail.

To ensure you're making a complaint to the right postal provider, you should always check the name of the postal provider stamped on the envelope received and any other courier details.

If your postal provider is Royal Mail

If you have a complaint about Royal Mail, you should follow this process to ensure it is dealt with quickly.

Your complaint will normally take no more than 30 calendar days for a full response. In some cases, international or complex cases may take up to 90 calendar days. Sometimes you will be asked for more information, which you’ll need to give to Royal Mail within 14 days.

Step one: contact Royal Mail customer services

Contact customer services by telephone, textphone, email or by sending a letter. Give them the details of your complaint.

If you're not satisfied with the response from customer services, you can ask that someone else looks at it. This is called escalating the complaint.

Step two: ask for the complaint to be escalated

If you ask for your complaint to be escalated it goes to a specialist team who will look into it further.

If you're not happy with the outcome of the response from the specialist team, you can ask for your problem to be looked into by the Postal Review Panel.

Step three: contact the Postal Review Panel

The Postal Review Panel is a group which sits outside of the regular customer services team. This means it can take a fresh and impartial look at your case. You will receive a final response from the Postal Review panel within 30 days.

If you're not satisfied with the response from the Postal Review Panel, you can ask for your complaint to be referred to the Postal Redress Service

Step four: refer your complaint to the Postal Redress Service

If you are still not happy after the Postal Review Panel has given you a final response, your case will be considered to be deadlocked. Once a complaint has reached deadlock, you can refer it to the independent ombudsman for post, called the Postal Redress Service (POSTRS).

The POSTRS is available to you if:

  • your complaint has not been settled within 90 days of you first contacting Royal Mail
  • you have received a deadlock letter, referring you to the scheme
  • Royal Mail has not kept to its own complaints procedure in handling your complaint
  • More information about using the Postal Redress Service

Vulnerable customers

If you, or someone you care for, is considered to be a vulnerable customer and you haven’t had the response you want, you may be able to get extra help with your complaint.

You're considered vulnerable if you have:

  • a mental or physical disability
  • poor literacy skills
  • been affected by personal circumstances, such as a recent bereavement.

Contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline if you feel you need extra help to complain.

If your postal provider is not Royal Mail

If you have a complaint about a postal provider that is not Royal Mail, you will need to follow the provider’s own complaints process. All postal providers must have one. You should be able to find details on their website or you can contact them directly.

If you don’t know how to contact your postal provider, Ofcom will be able to tell you.

Some postal providers are also members of the Postal Redress Service. This means you can refer the complaint to POSTRS if you can't sort it out using an internal complaints process.

Next steps

Other useful information

Royal Mail Customer Services

20 Turner Road
St Rollox Business & Retail Park
G21 1AA

Telephone: 08457 740 740, 8am – 6pm, Monday to Friday, 8am - 1pm on Saturdays
Textphone: 08456 000606
Twitter: @royalmail


Riverside House
2a Southwark Bridge Road

Tel: 0300 123 3333 or 020 7981 3040 (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm)
Textphone: 020 7981 3043

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?
Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.