Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Students in private rented accommodation

If you’re not in university housing, you’re probably renting privately or you’re a lodger. You have the same rights as any other private tenant or lodger - but there are special rules about council tax for students.

Renting privately

Get advice about renting from a private landlord if you have an assured shorthold tenancy. Most people have this type of tenancy.

What rights do lodgers have?

Find out what rights you have if you're a lodger. You can also check what support you can get if you need help with housing.