Skip to content Skip to footer

This advice applies to England. Change country

Licences and other types of official permission

Activity centres for young people

A licence is needed to run a centre providing the following activities for children and young people under 18:-

  • Caving
  • Climbing (including abseiling and scrambling activities, except on purpose-designed structures)
  • Trekking (including walking, pony-trekking, mountain biking, off-piste sking)
  • Water sports.

Licences are issued by the Adventure Activities Licensing Authority, 17 Lambourne Crescent, Llanishen, Cardiff CF4 5GS. Tel: 029 2075 5715. Website:

Alcohol (sale of)

Anyone over the age of 18 can apply for a temporary event notice for a one-off event involving the sale of alcohol. Applications should be made to your local authority.

Amateur radio

An amateur radio licence must be obtained from the Radio Licensing Centre, PO Box 885, Bristol BS99 5LF, Tel: 0117 925 8333, website: A practical training course, and/or an examination, must be undertaken before a licence is issued. There are different types of amateur licence. For more information, contact: Ofcom, Amateur and Citizens Band Radio Licensing, 02-130 Riverside House, 2a Southwark Bridge Road, London SE1 9HA, website:

Amusement machines

See Gambling.


A licence from the local authority is required for individuals to keep certain dangerous wild animals at home.

Beauty specialist

In some areas, you will need to register with the environmental health department of your local authority if you are offering certain beauty treatments.

Bingo clubs

See Gambling.

Business names

If someone wants to know whether a limited company in England or Wales is already using a particular name, s/he can find out by contacting the Companies Registration Office (see under heading Companies for address).

Caravan sites

A licence from the local authority (environmental health department) is needed to operate a caravan site. Planning permission from the local authority is needed before a licence can be issued.

Car boot sales

A street trading licence from the local authority or planning permission may be needed for sales held in a public place and/or on a regular basis.

Childminding and childrens’ nurseries

Childminders who look after children at home, together with anyone running a children's nursery or other day-care facility must be registered with the Office for Standards in Education (Ofsted) in England, or, in Wales, with the Welsh Government's Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales (CSSIW). For more information, contact Ofsted on 08456 404 045 or CSSIW on 01443 848450.

Citizens’ band radio

The installation and use of all citizens’ band radio receivers must be authorised by an annual licence which can be obtained from the Radio Licensing Centre (see under heading Amateur radio for the address of the Centre).

Civil partnerships

Before a civil partnership registration can take place, each party must give notice at a register office in the area of the local authority where they live.

For more information, see Registering a civil partnership.


Information about how to register a new company can be obtained from

Companies House Contact Centre
Tel: 0303 123 4500 (Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 6.00pm)
Minicom: 029 2038 1245

Consumer credit businesses

Authorisation from the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) is needed to run many types of businesses which involve consumer credit, including a consumer credit business, a consumer hire business, credit brokerage, debt management, pawnbroking, debt counselling and debt collecting.

Debt collectors

Debt collectors are required to be FCA authorised (see under heading Consumer credit businesses for details).

Dog breeders

A dog breeder is anyone who keeps more than two breeding bitches. S/he requires a licence from the local authority.

Driving licences

A driving licence is needed to drive most vehicles on the public road. Licences are issued by the Driver Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). The address of the Agency is Customer Enquiries (Drivers) Unit, Swansea SA6 7JL. Tel: 0300 790 6802. Application forms are available from the DVLA and from post offices.

For more information, see the Driving Licences section on GOV.UK.

Driving instructors

Anyone who gives professional paid instruction in driving a vehicle must be registered as an Approved Driving Instructor or hold a trainee’s licence to give instruction. Further information and driving instructor starter packs are available from the Driving Standards Agency Customer Service Centre, PO Box 280, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, NE99 1FP. Tel: 0300 200 1122 to apply in English or 0300 200 1133 to apply in Welsh.

Entertainments in public

A licence from the local authority is needed to hold any public entertainments, including music, dancing, boxing or wrestling, whether or not an admission charge is made. Certain events may be exempt from the need for a licence. The licensing of public entertainments in London is subject to separate statutory controls. On Sundays, there can be no admission fee to public dances.

Pubs and clubs that sell alcohol, and workplaces, don’t need a licence to host amplified live music acts between 8am and 11pm in venues for under 200 people.

Live unamplified music can also be played between 8am and 11pm in any venue of any size without a licence.

Film and video shows

Subject to certain exceptions, premises may not be used for the public showing of films or videos unless they are licensed by the local authority. There is an exemption for premises used less than six days a year and for showings conducted by non-commercial organisations, which are covered by an exemption certificate.

Firearms and ammunition

In most cases, anyone wishing to possess, buy or acquire a firearm (other than an airgun) or ammunition must be covered by a firearms certificate granted by a chief officer of police. Anyone dealing in firearms or ammunition must also apply for a certificate.


Fireworks are regarded as explosives. There are strict rules about what fireworks can be sold and who they can be sold to. Suppliers who store fireworks all year round must have a licence. You should apply to your local authority, which may need to refer you to the Health and Safety Executive. For more information, visit the HSE website at


Anyone over the age of twelve who wishes to fish for salmon or other freshwater fish, including trout or eels, must have a rod licence issued by the Environment Agency (for further details, telephone the Environment Agency 03708 506 506) or Natural Resources Wales (for further details, telephone Natural Resources Wales 0300 065 300). Licences are also available from post offices and online at: Permission from the landowner will be needed to fish in privately-owned waters or to cross private land. Permits can often be bought, giving the necessary authorisation.

Fruit machines

See Gambling.

Fundraising events

The laws on fundraising are complex. A licence or some other form of permission may be needed for some activities. For more information, contact the Charity Commission’s Helpline on 0870 333 0123.


Gambling covers gaming, betting, lotteries and raffles. It includes amusement machines, casinos, bingo and remote gambling, for example, on the internet. A gambling business may need three categories of licence. These licences are called operating licences, personal licences and premises licences.

The Gambling Commission issues operating licences and personal licences. It also gives detailed information about gambling laws and policies. Its contact details are:

Victoria Square House
Victoria Square
Birmingham B2 4BP

Tel: 0121 230 6666
Fax: 0121 230 6720

The local authority issues premises licences.

Non-commercial fundraising lotteries and raffles do not need licences but there are rules about how they should be conducted.

Gaming clubs

See Gambling.


See under heading Firearms and ammunition.

Heavy goods vehicle drivers

A licence is required to drive a heavy goods vehicle. Licences are available from the Driver Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). Forms are available from the post office. An applicant must be aged 21 or over unless s/he is registered under a training scheme and is driving a vehicle owned by her/his registered employer or training establishment, in which case the minimum age is 18.

House to house collections

House to house collections must be authorised by a licence issued by the local authority or Metropolitan Police Commissioner, or by an order of exemption granted by the Home Office for a national collection, or by a certificate of exemption granted by a chief officer of police for some local collections.

Hunting and selling game

A game licence is needed to kill, take or sell game. Permission will also be needed from the landowner or anyone else who has hunting rights over the land.


Demonstrations of hypnotism for public entertainment must be licensed by the local authority.


A licence from the local authority is required to run boarding kennels for cats or dogs, including kennels run from a private home.

Lotteries or raffles

See Gambling.

Market traders

Market traders in most areas require a licence from the local authority, or the police.


Before a civil marriage ceremony can take place, each party must give notice in their local register office, where the Superintendent Registrar will issue authority for the marriage to take place.

For more information, see Getting married.

Metal detectors

A licence is not needed to use a metal detector, but the landowner’s permission is needed to enter, search and/or dig on land.

For more information, see Keeping lost, found and uncollected goods.


If you are a driver of a minibus which can carry eight or more passengers, you may need a passenger carrying vehicle (PCV) entitlement added to your licence by the Driver Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). You may not require this if the minibus is operated by one of certain non-commercial organisations under a permit issued by a designated body, or by a local authority or the area traffic commissioner.

For more information about licence requirements for driving minibuses, visit the DVLA's website at


In areas outside London, minicabs are normally licensed by the local authority. In London, minicabs are licensed by Transport for London (TfL) at the Taxi and Private Hire Office. The contact details for the Taxi and Private Hire Office are:

Surface Transport Customer Services
4th Floor
197 Blackfriars Road
Telephone for licensing enquiries: 0845 602 7000

Model aircraft

A licence is not required to use model aircraft or similar model-controlled equipment, but certain conditions must be complied with to avoid interference with other radio users.

Motor salvage operators

Motor salvage operators must register with their local authority and keep records of all vehicles sold and received.

Music licensing

If you play recorded music in public, that is to say, in any business context, you are legally required to get a PRS For Music and a PPL licence.

Any establishment where recorded music is played in public, whether CD, radio, TV, on telephone systems or the internet will require these two licences. This is not limited to premises where members of the general public have access such as pubs, shops, gyms, but also offices, factories and even the back room of a shop.

Even if you use your premises only for live performances, you will still be required to have a licence from PRS For Music.

You may obtain a PRS for Music licence from the Performing Rights Society Limited (PRS) For Music. The address of PRS for Music is 2 Pancras Square, London N1C 4AG. Tel: 0845 309 3090, website:

You can obtain a PPL licence from Phonographic Performance Limited (PPL). The address of PPL is 1 Upper James Street, London W1F 9DE. Tel: 020 7534 1000, website:

Night cafes

An annual licence from the local authority is required for any premises (not including those which serve alcohol) which are open for public refreshment between 10pm and 5am. In some parts of London, the relevant hours are 11pm to 5am or midnight to 5am.

Nursing and residential homes

In England, nursing and residential care homes must be registered with the Care Quality Commission. You can contact them on 03000 616161 or visit their website at

In Wales, nursing and residential care homes must be registered with the Welsh Government's Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales (CSSIW). You can contact them on 0300 062 8800 or visit their website at


See under heading Consumer credit businesses.

Pedlars and hawkers

Pedlars and hawkers who sell door to door may need an annual certificate granted by the chief officer of police in the applicant’s district. Some trades, for example, the sale of food, are exempt from the need for a licence.

Pet shops

A licence from the local authority (environmental health department) is required to open a pet shop. Complaints about the way animals are kept should be addressed to the licensing authority or to an animal welfare organisation, for example, the RSPCA.

Public service vehicles

A licence from the Driver Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) is required to drive a large passenger-carrying vehicle.

For more information, see Driving licences.

Riding stables

Businesses which keep horses to hire out for riding and/or for riding instruction must be licensed by the local authority.

Road haulage

Road haulage operators must be licensed by the local traffic area office of VOSA (Vehicle and Operator Services Agency). For more information, see

Rubbish skips

Written permission from the Highway Authority is needed for a skip to be placed on a public road, but otherwise no permission is needed.


Local authorities may require premises which offer saunas and other forms of ‘special treatment’, for example, massages, steam baths, manicures, electrolysis or body piercing to be licensed.

Scrap metal dealers

Anyone dealing in scrap metal must be registered with her/his local authority (either the trading standards department or the environmental health department).

Sex establishments

Local authorities have powers to require sex establishments in their area to be licensed. A sex establishment is a sex shop or sex cinema and, in parts of London, may also include a sex encounter establishment (not including private homes).

Street collections

A licence issued by the local authority or Metropolitan police commissioner is required before a street collection can be held.

Street trading

See under heading Market traders.

Sunday trading

A shop with a floor area of 280 square metres or less can open on Sundays with no restrictions. If it has an area of more than 280 square metres, you must give notice to the local authority before you can open on Sundays. You must not open for more than six hours, beginning no earlier than 10am and ending no later than 6pm

Taping at home

Home taping of TV or radio programmes to allow viewing or listening at a more convenient time is permitted by law. However, recording a broadcast for any other reason may be an infringement of copyright.

Tattoo parlours

A licence from the local authority may be required to operate a tattoo parlour.


In most areas outside London, taxis and taxi drivers who ply for hire are licensed by the local authority. In London, licensing is undertaken by Transport for London 9TfL) at the Taxi and Private Hire Office. For the address of the Taxi and Private Hire Office, see under heading Minicabs.

Television licences

You must have a TV Licence to watch or record live TV programmes on any channel, or download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer.

This could be on any device, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

If you do any of the above without a valid licence, you risk prosecution and a maximum fine of up to £1,000. You'll still have to buy a TV Licence if you need one.

You can find information about television licences on GOV.UK.

Tree felling

A Forestry Commission licence may be required to fell trees. The address of the Commission is Silvan House, 231 Cortorphine Road, Edinburgh EH12 7AT. Tel: 08453 673787.

Waste disposal sites

The licensing of waste disposal sites is the responsibility of:

Did this advice help?