Being a confident eco-friendly consumer
If you're looking to be a more environmentally friendly consumer - whether that's buying eco-friendly products or making your home more energy efficient - it's important to make sure you can be confident in your decisions.
That’s why we’re raising awareness of how people can protect themselves from misleading energy efficiency and environmental claims, such as “green scams”, rogue traders and greenwashing.
With our advice and support you can arm yourselves with the knowledge and confidence you need to make the best decisions.
Have a look at our leaflet [ 140 kb] for some key steps you can take to be a savvy green consumer. You can also take a look at the Competition and Markets Authority's (CMA) Green Claims Code for more information about misleading green claims, including tips for shoppers.
You can also find more detailed information on our consumer advice pages. Below are some useful links to our advice on some of the more common issues.
If you need more help with a consumer problem you can also contact the consumer helpline.
Our advice pages
If you're planning to make your home more energy efficient:
- Read our advice on the steps to take before you get building work done
- Use our tips on how to find a trader and check you can trust them
- Find out what you can do if there's a problem with any building works or home improvements
- Learn how to cancel building work and your rights when doing so
For information on purchases you're making:
If you want more advice on scams
- Visit our scams advice pages for tips on how to recognise a scam, what to do if you spot one, and advice on how you can protect yourself
If you need more advice or support you can contact the consumer helpline.