Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Extra benefits and help you can get while on DLA

This advice applies to Northern Ireland

If you get DLA for your child, you might be able to get extra money from other benefits, a reduction in your rates or a reduction in road tax bills.

You’ll need your DLA decision letter before you can apply for this extra help - you’ll be sent this when the Disability and Carers Service has made a decision on your DLA claim.

Use our benefits checker to find out if you’re claiming all the benefits you're entitled to.

Higher payments of benefits you already get

You may get higher payments of the following benefits if you’re also getting DLA for your child:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Rate Relief
  • Income support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Jobseekers’ Allowance

You’ll also be exempt from the ‘benefit cap’ which limits the amount of benefit payments a household can get.

Check who pays your benefits and contact them (their contact details should be on any letters they send you). Tell them you’re getting DLA for your child and ask them what other help this entitles you to - it’s a good idea to have your decision letter handy when you call.

It's best to do this as soon as possible after getting a DLA decision.

Getting a DLA won’t reduce any of your other benefits so it’s always best to ask what extra you’re entitled to.

Check if you can get Carer’s Allowance

Carer’s Allowance is a benefit for people who look after someone with a disability or health condition.

You’ll have a good chance of getting Carer’s Allowance if all the following apply:

  • you get the middle or higher rate of the care component of DLA for your child
  • you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for your child
  • you earn less than £110 a week

Read more about claiming Carer’s Allowance on nidirect.

Remember you can speak to an adviser at your nearest Citizens Advice about the benefits you could be getting.

Check if you can get Income Support 

Income Support is a benefit for people who don’t have enough to live on.

You might be eligible if either:

  • you get the middle or higher rate of the DLA care component for your child, or
  • you get Carer’s Allowance as a carer for the child that the DLA is for

Call the Benefit Enquiry Line to find out if you can get Income Support and start a claim. Make sure you have details about any recent earnings or employment when you call.

Benefit Enquiry Line
Telephone: 0800 220 674 or 0800 232 1271
Textphone: 02890 311092

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday: 9am to 5pm
Thursday: 10am to 5pm

If you call outside the opening times you can leave a message and they’ll call you back during normal office hours.

Get travel support

If you get the higher rate mobility component, you can get:

Apply for a grant from the Family Fund 

The Family Fund gives grants to ease the stress on families who have a disabled or seriously ill child.

You can apply for help if you’re on a low income and you care for a disabled or seriously ill child at home.

Check if you’re eligible and find out how to apply on the Family Fund website.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?
Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.