Skip to content Skip to footer

Letter to complain to a trader about poor quality work

This advice applies to Northern Ireland

This letter applies to work that you gave the go-ahead for on or after 1 October 2015. If you gave the go-ahead before 1 October 2015, use our letter to complain to a trader about poor quality work agreed before 1 October 2015.

Use this template to write a letter to a trader if they've done poor quality building work, decorating or home improvement for you.

It should help the trader understand your point of view and their legal obligation to sort out the problem.

You can send the letter by post or copy the text into an email. If you’d prefer to talk to the trader on the phone or in person you could read it out to them.

Before you use this template, make sure you read our advice on problems with building work, decorating or home improvements.

Further help

Contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 03454 04 05 06 if you need more help - a trained adviser can give you advice over the phone. You can also use an online form or write to them.

If you’re in Northern Ireland, contact Consumerline.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?
Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.