Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Council Tax Reduction - the decision

This advice applies to Scotland

Once the local council has all the information or evidence it needs, it must make a decision on your application for Council Tax Reduction (CTR) as soon as is reasonable.

The local council must tell you in writing when it has made the decision. They will send you a revised Council Tax bill adjusted to show your reduced liability to pay Council Tax if you are entitled to a CTR. This is called a Council Tax demand notice.

The Council Tax bill should contain the following information:

  • your right to ask for a review of the decision
  • information about how the CTR has been calculated.

If you disagree with the decision

Internal local council review

If you are not satisfied with the decision on your application, you should write to the local council and ask them to review the decision. You should say what you think is wrong. You should do this within 2 months of the date that the local council tells you its decision.

The local council must consider your request for a review and tell you in writing what it decides. The internal review will be conducted by a local council officer, or officers, who had no part in making the initial assessment of your application or circumstances.

If you disagree with the internal review of the decision

If you are still not satisfied when you have received the local council's internal review of its decision, you can ask for an independent review.

There is a time limit for doing this. Find out more about requesting an independent review.

Complaining about a Council Tax Reduction application

As well as asking for the CTR decision to be reviewed, you can also consider making a complaint.

You can complain whether or not you ask for the decision to be looked at again.

Find out more about complaining about a CTR application.

Help challenging a Council Tax Reduction decision

If you think the decision on your Council Tax Reduction application is wrong, you should consult an experienced adviser, for example, at a Citizens Advice Bureau - where to get advice.

Other help with Council Tax

If you're worried that you will not be able to pay your Council Tax, you may be able to apply for:

  • a discount or reduction off your bill
  • other help to pay the bill.

Find out more about Council Tax.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.