Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

If you’re worried about getting less Universal Credit

This advice applies to Scotland

From 6 October 2021, the amount of Universal Credit you’ll get will go down by £86.67 a month. This affects everyone claiming Universal Credit - there aren’t any exceptions.

If you’re struggling with living costs

If you don’t have enough to live on, you might be able to get help with paying for daily essentials. 

Check if you can get a grant to help you pay for things that you need like:

  • food
  • gas and electricity
  • household goods - for example a cooker

There are 2 different types of grant, crisis grants and community care grants. They are paid from the Scottish Welfare Fund. You’ll need to apply to your local council. You can apply even if you've had a grant before.

Find details of your local council on

You can also find out how to reduce your regular living costs - you might be able to pay less for things like energy, water and internet.

You can check what help you can get from local charities on the Turn2us website -  you’ll need to know your postcode.

If you can't pay for food

Food banks are community organisations that can help if you can’t afford the food you need. You can find out how to get help from a food bank.

Check if you can get free school meals

If you have children, you might be able to get free school meals for your children.

Get help with housing costs

If you’re paying rent, you could make a claim for a discretionary housing payment (DHP). A DHP is extra money from your local council to help pay your rent.

Contact your local council and ask how to apply for a DHP. They might want you to apply by phone or online. You can find out how to contact your local council on GOV.UK.

When you apply, be as clear as you can when you're explaining why you need a DHP. If you apply on a paper form, it's a good idea to keep a copy of the form for your records. You should explain:

  • why you can't afford to pay the rent

  • why you can't move somewhere cheaper

  • if it's causing problems for someone you look after - like a child or elderly relative

  • any evidence you have - like a letter from your doctor or details of debts you're paying off

If you have a mortgage

You might be able to get a government loan to help to pay the mortgage interest. The government loan is called ‘support for mortgage interest’ (SMI).

The DWP will charge interest on the SMI loan - this means you’ll pay back more than you borrowed. Even though you’ll pay interest, it could be cheaper than other ways of borrowing money.

You can check if you can get SMI.

Check if you can pay less council tax

You might qualify for a council tax reduction if your income has dropped or if you started claiming benefits recently.

You can check if you can pay less council tax.

If you're worried about money you owe 

There are steps you can take to help you reduce your debt. You can find out how to get help with your debts.

If you’re disabled or look after a disabled child

You might also be able to get other benefits as well as Universal Credit. 

If you’re disabled, you should check if you’re eligible for Personal Independence Payment (PIP). 

If you look after a disabled child, you should check if you can claim Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Child Disability Payment for your child.

Getting PIP or DLA won’t reduce the amount of Universal Credit you get.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.