Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Contact the consumer helpline

This advice applies to Scotland

Coronavirus - changes to our service

The Citizens Advice consumer helpline helps consumers in Scotland with energy or postal problems.

If you call us, you might have to wait longer than normal to talk to an adviser. This is because we're getting a lot of calls at the moment.

Our advisers are working from home so our service can operate as close to normal as possible. We're doing our best to deal with enquiries about energy and postal problems as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.

We can’t receive letters because our offices are closed. If you’ve sent us a letter and we haven’t been in touch, please send your query again using one of our online forms. 

If you need help getting a refund for cancelled travel plans or an event, you can read our coronavirus content on getting your money back.

When to call the helpline: energy and postal issues

The Citizens Advice consumer helpline helps consumers in Scotland with energy or postal problems.

If you need help with another type of consumer issue, check the relevant consumer advice page for your options. 

Call the helpline

Citizens Advice consumer helpline: 0808 223 1133

Relay UK - if you can't hear or speak on the phone, you can type what you want to say: 18001 then 0808 223 1133

You can use Relay UK with an app or a textphone. There’s no extra charge to use it. Find out how to use Relay UK on the Relay UK website.

Lines are open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. Lines are closed on bank holidays.

An adviser will answer your call as soon as possible, usually within a few minutes. Once you're speaking to an adviser your call should take an average of 8 to 10 minutes.

Calls from mobiles and landlines are free.

Use an online form

You can use one of our forms to get in touch with us:

How the consumer helpline can help you

The helpline adviser can:

  • give you practical and impartial advice on how to resolve your energy or post consumer problem
  • tell you the law which applies to your situation
  • pass information about complaints on to Trading Standards - you can’t do this yourself.

However, the adviser can’t:

  • advise on issues that aren't related to energy or post
  • make a complaint for you
  • take legal action on your behalf.

Before you contact the helpline

Before you contact the helpline, you should have a pen and paper ready.

To help the adviser give you the most relevant advice, you should be ready to give them as much of the following information as you can:

  • brief details of your problem - for example, the type of meter you have, how you pay for your energy bills 
  • the supplier's name - if it's an energy problem 
  • what you’ve done so far to try to solve the issue
  • your reference number - if you’ve already contacted the helpline about the same problem.

What we do with your information

We’ll use the information you’ve given us to answer your query. We might contact you to get your feedback on our service.

We’ll also share your information with Trading Standards and other trusted organisations we work with to help their consumer protection work. They could contact you with more advice, or to ask for more information that will help them with their work.

Tell us when you contact the consumer service if you don’t want your information to be shared.

Find out more about how we use, store and share your information.

If you’re unhappy with the service you've received

You should follow our complaints procedure.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.