Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) - getting paid

This advice applies to Scotland

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a benefit for people aged 16 to 64 with a long-term health condition or disability.

This page explains how it is paid and how often.

Top tips

To save time, have your account details ready when you first phone the DWP to make a claim. However, if you can't produce them immediately, don't delay making your claim or you may lose money.

More about how to claim Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

How is PIP paid?

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will pay PIP into a bank, building society, credit union or Post Office Card account. You'll need to give details of your account when you make your claim.

If you're unable to open an account for your PIP payments, the DWP will issue you with a Simple Payment Card. This will allow you to collect payments from a PayPoint outlet displaying the Simple Payment sign.

How often is PIP paid?

PIP is paid every four weeks in arrears. This means that payments are made at the end of each four week period.

If you're claiming under the Special Rules for terminally ill people, PIP can be paid weekly in advance.

Who is PIP paid to?

PIP is normally paid into your bank or other account. It can also be paid into a joint account or into your partner's account.

If you're not able to manage your own affairs, then PIP can be paid to someone else who has a formal arrangement with the DWP to act on your behalf. For example, this could be an appointee or someone holding Power of Attorney. An appointee is someone who is authorised by the DWP to act for you in relation to your benefits.

In exceptional circumstances, the DWP can pay PIP to another person on your behalf, if they decide this is necessary to protect your interests.

If you have a Motability agreement

Motability is a scheme to help disabled people with the costs of hiring or buying a car, powered wheelchair or scooter. You must be getting the mobility component of PIP at the enhanced rate to make use of the scheme.

If you have a Motability agreement, the DWP will pay part or all of your mobility component of PIP directly to the Motability Scheme.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?
Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.