Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Coronavirus - what it means for you

This advice applies to Scotland

We'll update our advice to help you understand any changes when they apply to you.

On this page:

Covid rules you need to follow

The Scottish government has introduced rules to deal with coronavirus. 

There are 5 protection levels the government can apply in Scotland. The levels are 0, 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Check the level and rules for your local area using the Scottish government protection level checker.

There are rules about:

If your partner or family member makes you feel anxious or threatened

You can still get help during this time. You can call Scotland’s Domestic Abuse Helpline on 0800 027 1234 or check theSafer Scot website.

Read our advice about domestic abuse and where to get help.

Covid health advice

Coronavirus causes the illness called Covid-19. There are things you can do to avoid getting coronavirus and stop it spreading. Read the latest advice about symptoms, social distancing and testing on NHS inform.

You can get Covid advice in British Sign Language or Covid advice in Easy Read format.

You can also get advice for:

Overseas visitors to Scotland don't have to pay to be diagnosed or treated for coronavirus on the NHS, whatever their residence status. Read about healthcare for overseas visitors on NHS inform.

If you're on the shielding list

You can follow the same rules as others in your local council area. 

There’s advice about shielding on

Help if you can't leave your home

If you can't leave your home, for example because you're self-isolating, you can call the Scottish government's national assistance helpline on 0800 111 4000, Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.

The helpline will connect you with your local council for support getting food and medicine, social work services, emotional support and support from local volunteer groups.

The helpline is for anyone who doesn't have help from family, friends or neighbours and who can't access help online. 

Find out more about the help you can get on the Ready Scotland website.

Self-isolating if you're vulnerable 

You might be able to get more help if you’ve been asked to self-isolate by the Test and Protect service and you’re at higher risk, like if you’re:

  • on the shielding list
  • over 70 years old
  • disabled
  • on a low income.

Contact tracers will ask if you want your local council to phone you to see if you need help from your local self-isolation assistance service. This might be getting food or medicine, or help applying for a self-isolation grant. Find out more about getting a self-isolation grant

If you have less money because of coronavirus

If you have less money because of coronavirus, help is available. You might be able to:

If you’re already getting benefits, check if the government has made changes to your benefits.

Going to work

The Scottish government has said you should only go to work if it's not possible for you to work from home. 

Check our advice if you're:

If you're self-employed and need financial support

You can find out more about:

You can also call the Scottish government helpline on 0300 303 0660, Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5.30pm.

Childcare and schools 

The Scottish government has announced changes that affect childcare and schools. 


Nurseries and other formal childcare settings are open to all children.

A friend or family member from another household can look after your child in their home or yours. 

You can check ParentClub for guidance about childcare during coronavirus

You can check our advice about what to do if you need to be off work to care for someone.

Wearing a face covering in schools 

Unless you're exempt, face coverings should be worn:

  • in primary schools – by adults moving around the school, for example in corridors and common areas
  • in secondary schools - at all times by adults and pupils
  • on school transport - by all children aged 5 or over travelling to and from primary or secondary school
  • by parents, carers and visitors – when on school grounds, indoors and outdoors. This includes when you’re dropping off or picking up your child.

Social distancing in schools

In schools, adults who aren't in the same household should stay 2 metres apart. Children and adults should also stay 2 metres apart whenever possible. 

Children in primary schools don't need to stay 2 metres apart. Secondary school pupils might be encouraged to physically distance when possible. 

If you or your child has symptoms of Covid-19 

If you or your child has symptoms of coronavirus, you should:

  • book a test straight away
  • self-isolate
  • not send your child to school or nursery.

If the test result is negative, your household can stop self-isolating. Anyone with a positive test result should check the self-isolation guidance on NHS inform.

If someone at school tests positive for Covid-19 

If your child is a close contact of someone at school who has tested positive for coronavirus, they might have to self-isolate for 10 days. A local Test and Protect team will tell you if your child needs to self-isolate.

Check your local council website for information on what will happen if there’s a confirmed case of COVID-19 in school. Find your local council on

If you need to take time off to look after your children, speak to your employer. Read more about taking time off to look after children

If you’re planning to travel

The rules about travel depend on the protection level you’re in and where you're going.

Travelling within Scotland

You can travel to other parts of Scotland.

Before you travel to a Scottish island, you should:

  • take a Covid-19 test 3 days before travelling
  • take another test on the day you plan to travel.

Find out how to book a test on the Scottish government website.

Travelling within the UK, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man and Ireland

You can travel between Scotland, most areas in England, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. But you should check what the local rules are before you travel.

You cannot travel to some areas without a reasonable excuse, like work that you cannot do from home. This includes:

  • Bolton
  • Blackburn with Darwen
  • Manchester - from 21 June
  • Salford - from 21 June.

Find out more about the rules and reasons you can travel on the Scottish government website.

Travelling abroad

The rules on travelling abroad depend on which country you’re going to. There’s a traffic light system - each country is either red, amber or green.

It’s not against the law to go abroad for a non-essential reason, like a holiday. But the Scottish government advises you not to travel to countries on the red or amber list unless you have to. Check the Scottish government's guidance on international travel.

If you travel abroad, you should check:

  • if the country is allowing people from the UK to enter
  • the latest travel advice on GOV.UK
  • what you'll need to do when you come back to the UK - check the rules on entering the UK from abroad
  • if your travel insurance covers medical and travel problems caused by coronavirus.

Travel insurance

If you travel to a country that the UK government considers high risk, your insurance policy might not be valid.

Travelling without valid travel insurance is a big risk. For example, you might have to pay all of your medical bills if you get ill or have an accident. If you need to buy travel insurance or make a claim, check our advice about travel insurance.

If you've booked a holiday

Check what your travel agent, airline or accommodation provider says about your booking. 

If your booking is cancelled because of coronavirus, contact the company you booked with. You have the right to a refund, or you can choose to rebook the holiday for another time.

You can find out more about getting a refund because of coronavirus.

You can also find out what to do if your package holiday is cancelled.

If you need more help, you can get advice from your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

If your visa is ending and you can't leave the UK

If your visa expires on or before 30 June 2021, you need to follow the coronavirus visa guidance on GOV.UK. You'll need to give evidence of why you can't leave in time.

For example, you might not be able to leave the UK because:

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.