Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

EU exit (Brexit) advice

This advice applies to Scotland

EU exit (Brexit) 

The UK is due to leave the EU. This process is known as Brexit. Details about how and when the UK will leave the EU are not yet fully known and are regularly changing.

Until the UK leaves the EU your rights remain unchanged. The Government will announce what will happen next and we'll update our advice when more information is known.

Staying in the UK after Brexit

If you're an EU, EEA or Swiss national, living in the UK, you can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to stay after Brexit. See our advice on Staying in the UK after Brexit and also on Keeping your family in the UK after Brexit.

If you're an Irish national, you won’t have to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK, as you have rights under the Common Travel Area but see our advice about Keeping your family in the UK after Brexit.

Brexit and your rights

You can find out more about how Brexit might impact on your other rights, for example, to work or travel abroad, on the GOV.UK page Prepare to leave the EU.

You can find out more about how your rights in Scotland, for example your rights to housing, education, health and social care, might be affected on the page EU exit (Brexit).

If you're a UK national living in, or travelling to, an EU country, you can find out more about how your rights might be affected by choosing the country on the GOV.UK website. You can also check the guidance for all UK nationals living in the EU.

EU Citizens Support

If you think you’ll need extra support to apply for Settled Status you can contact our EU Citizens Support Service. 

You might need more help if you:

  • have difficulty accessing an android mobile phone
  • have limited access to the internet
  • find it difficult to get the evidence you need to apply
  • are at greater risk due to personal circumstances
  • have specific immigration or residency issues
You can find details about how to contact our service on
Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?
Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.