Citizens Advice responds to BEIS Committee's report on product safety and electrical goods
Citizens Advice has responded to the Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) Committee’s report on the safety of electrical goods in the UK.
Gillian Guy, Chief Executive of Citizens Advice, said:
“No one should have to worry if a product they have bought is unsafe. That is why companies should make consumers aware of product safety risks as soon as possible.
“Through our consumer helpline, we helped people with nearly 3,000 issues around product safety over the past year.
“We will continue to work with government to ensure the systems that support product safety work for consumers.
“If people have any concerns about product safety, they should contact our consumer helpline.”
For more information contact: Melanie Karalis
Tel: 03000 231226
Out-of-hours contact number: 0845 099 0107
Notes to editors
- The Citizens Advice service comprises a network of local Citizens Advice, all of which are independent charities, the Citizens Advice consumer service and national charity Citizens Advice. Together we help people resolve their money, legal and other problems by providing information and advice and by influencing policymakers. For more see the Citizens Advice website.
- The advice provided by the Citizens Advice service is free, independent, confidential and impartial, and available to everyone regardless of race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, age or nationality.
- To get advice online or find your local Citizens Advice in England and Wales, visit citizensadvice.org.uk
- You can get consumer advice from the Citizens Advice consumer service on 03454 04 05 06 or 03454 04 05 05 for Welsh language speakers.
- Local Citizens Advice in England and Wales advised 2.5 million clients on 6.2 million problems in 2014/15. For full service statistics see our publication Advice trends.
- Citizens Advice service staff are supported by more than 21,000 trained volunteers, working at over 2,500 service outlets across England and Wales.