Energy suppliers must follow E.On’s cut to gas bills
Citizens Advice has responded to news that E.On has announced a 5.1% reduction in its standard gas price for residential customers.
Gillian Guy, Chief Executive of Citizens Advice, said:
"Households are paying over the odds on their energy bills.
“Wholesale costs are plummeting but consumers aren't feeling the benefit. The impact of expensive bills, especially during winter, means many customers have to think twice about turning the heating on.
“It is encouraging that E.On is to cut its gas bills but the reduction in savings for people will be modest. The company should also help customers by cutting electricity bills.
“The industry as a whole urgently needs to step up to the plate - suppliers need to play fair with customers and start passing on the major savings they have been making from cheap wholesale costs.”
Notes to editors
- The Citizens Advice service comprises a network of local Citizens Advice, all of which are independent charities, the Citizens Advice consumer service and national charity Citizens Advice. Together we help people resolve their money, legal and other problems by providing information and advice and by influencing policymakers. For more see the Citizens Advice website.
- The advice provided by the Citizens Advice service is free, independent, confidential and impartial, and available to everyone regardless of race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, age or nationality.
- To get advice online or find your local Citizens Advice in England and Wales, visit citizensadvice.org.uk
- You can get consumer advice from the Citizens Advice consumer service on 03454 04 05 06 or 03454 04 05 05 for Welsh language speakers.
- Local Citizens Advice in England and Wales advised 2.5 million clients on 6.2 million problems in 2014/15. For full service statistics see our publication Advice trends.
- Citizens Advice service staff are supported by more than 21,000 trained volunteers, working at over 2,500 service outlets across England and Wales.