“More needs to be done” on standard variable tariffs, says Citizens Advice
Responding to Ofgem’s new league table, which ranks the ten largest suppliers according to how many customers are on poor value standard variable tariffs, Citizens Advice Chief Executive Gillian Guy said:
“Poor value default tariffs are ripping off loyal consumers and costing people up to £300 extra a year.
“It’s encouraging that some energy companies have started to move customers off standard variable tariffs, but with 13 million people stuck on these deals it is clear that more needs to be done.
“Ofgem is rightly planning to limit energy bills for vulnerable people, and the government’s proposed cap on all energy prices could make the market work better for everyone. In the meantime, it’s important that energy companies make every effort to get customers off rip-off default tariffs at the earliest available opportunity.”
Notes to editors
- The Citizens Advice service comprises a network of local Citizens Advice, all of which are independent charities, the Citizens Advice consumer service and national charity Citizens Advice. Together we help people resolve their money, legal and other problems by providing information and advice and by influencing policymakers. For more see the Citizens Advice website.
- The advice provided by the Citizens Advice service is free, independent, confidential and impartial, and available to everyone regardless of race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, age or nationality.
- To get advice online or find your local Citizens Advice in England and Wales, visit citizensadvice.org.uk
- You can get consumer advice from the Citizens Advice consumer service on 03454 04 05 06 or 03454 04 05 05 for Welsh language speakers.
- Local Citizens Advice in England and Wales advised 2.5 million clients on 6.2 million problems in 2014/15. For full service statistics see our publication Advice trends.
- Citizens Advice service staff are supported by more than 21,000 trained volunteers, working at over 2,500 service outlets across England and Wales.