Scottish Power announces cut to gas bills
Citizens Advice has responded to news that Scottish Power has announced a 5.4% cut to its standard gas tariff for residential customers.
Gillian Guy, Chief Executive of Citizens Advice, said:
“Energy companies are finally waking up to calls to cut high bills.
“It’s encouraging Scottish Power has become the third ‘big six’ company to cut its gas bills. But customers will have to wait until March to feel the benefit.
"All customers should be feeling the benefits of plummeting wholesale costs so other suppliers must now follow and reduce their prices too.
“More could still be done to help consumers and we urge all firms to cut deeper and faster.”
Notes to editors
- The Citizens Advice service comprises a network of local Citizens Advice, all of which are independent charities, the Citizens Advice consumer service and national charity Citizens Advice. Together we help people resolve their money, legal and other problems by providing information and advice and by influencing policymakers. For more see the Citizens Advice website.
- The advice provided by the Citizens Advice service is free, independent, confidential and impartial, and available to everyone regardless of race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, age or nationality.
- To get advice online or find your local Citizens Advice in England and Wales, visit citizensadvice.org.uk
- You can get consumer advice from the Citizens Advice consumer service on 03454 04 05 06 or 03454 04 05 05 for Welsh language speakers.
- Local Citizens Advice in England and Wales advised 2.5 million clients on 6.2 million problems in 2014/15. For full service statistics see our publication Advice trends.
- Citizens Advice service staff are supported by more than 21,000 trained volunteers, working at over 2,500 service outlets across England and Wales.