Suppliers must refund customers who were overcharged
Citizens Advice has responded to an announcement that thousands of energy customers may have been incorrectly billed due to problems with their meter set up.
Gillian Guy, Chief Executive of Citizens Advice, said:
"Energy customers shouldn't have to pay for the mistakes of suppliers.
“Errors like this are unacceptable - accurate bills are vital to ensuring customers don’t have to pay over the odds for their energy.
"Ofgem is right to call on suppliers to refund customers on any overpayments and companies should do this with urgency."
Notes to editors
- The Citizens Advice service comprises a network of local Citizens Advice, all of which are independent charities, the Citizens Advice consumer service and national charity Citizens Advice. Together we help people resolve their money, legal and other problems by providing information and advice and by influencing policymakers. For more see the Citizens Advice website.
- The advice provided by the Citizens Advice service is free, independent, confidential and impartial, and available to everyone regardless of race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, age or nationality.
- To get advice online or find your local Citizens Advice in England and Wales, visit citizensadvice.org.uk
- You can get consumer advice from the Citizens Advice consumer service on 03454 04 05 06 or 03454 04 05 05 for Welsh language speakers.
- Local Citizens Advice in England and Wales advised 2.5 million clients on 6.2 million problems in 2014/15. For full service statistics see our publication Advice trends.
- Citizens Advice service staff are supported by more than 21,000 trained volunteers, working at over 2,500 service outlets across England and Wales.