Policy research publications
Citizens Advice regularly publishes policy research on issues affecting clients of our service. We use this evidence to campaign for changes in policies and services.
Welfare and benefits forms the largest area of advice we deliver giving us some of the clearest insights into the way in which the system works and the challenges it poses.
We all now have to behave as consumers in an increasing number of markets. Our consumer policy work looks at how people are treated in everything from telecoms and financial services, to housing and online marketplaces.
- Citizens Advice Response to the Gambling Commission’s Call for Evidence: Gambling with Credit
- The Costs of Collection: The high price of council tax debt collection
- Taking Control Response to the Ministry of Justice’s Call for Evidence on Bailiffs
- The rules of enforcement: making a complaint about the behaviour of bailiffs in a self-regulated system
- A law unto themselves: How bailiffs are breaking the rules
- View all
Our work policy research covers both employment and self-employment. It looks at the increasing diversity of working arrangements and how this is affecting pay, work-life balance and redress when things go wrong.
Our pensions policy work explores how people understand pensions and what can be done to help consumers make positive pension choices while also protecting them from potential risks.
We are the official consumer body for energy. We use research and evidence from the people who contact our advice service every day to understand the problems facing energy consumers in Great Britain. We help solve these problems by engaging with industry, changing policy and supporting consumers to navigate the market.
As the statutory consumer body for postal consumers in England and Wales, we commission research, build evidence-based policy positions to embed the needs of postal consumers into decision-making, with specific regard for the needs of vulnerable consumers.
Through Citizens Advice and the Witness Service, we support hundreds of thousands of people pursuing justice or going to court as a victim or a witness.
- A New Deal for Renting: Resetting the balance of rights and responsibilities between landlords and tenants: Citizens Advice response to MHCLG’s call for evidence
- A national landlord and property register: how it could work in practice
- Getting the house in order: How to improve standards in the private rented sector
- Considering the case for a Housing Court: Citizens Advice response to MHCLG’s call for evidence
- Touch and go: how to protect private renters from retaliatory eviction in England
- View all
We help thousands of people with public service issues every year. This means we have a really detailed understanding of public services and how they can best support their users.
- Voices of Wales on 80 years of Advice | Lleisiau Cymru ar 80 mlynedd o gyngor
- Voices of Wales on Consumer Issues/ Lleisiau Cymru ar Faterion defnyddwyr
- Voices of Wales on Welfare/ Lleisiau Cymru ar Lles
- Help when I need it / Cymorth Hawdd Ei Gael
- Connected Communities: Tackling Loneliness and Social Isolation / Cysylltu Cymunedau: Mynd i'r Afael ag Unigrwydd ac Ynysigrwydd Cymdeithasol
- View all