Why is this advert not fit for purpose?
The advert below is a fake that we created from real adverts that we saw during our research into recruitment advertising. Each individual sentence is real and has come from a genuine advert.
We let our employment expert, Emma, take a red pen to it and give us her feedback. Now it's your turn.
What is wrong with this ad?
- The advert says full time and then says it may vary. Anything over 48 hours would be a breach of Working Time Regulations (unless you opt out). However, you know that you are an employee with guaranteed 16 hours).
- What is an early start and a late finish?
- NMW means National Minimum Wage, but not everyone knows how much that is and it varies over time and depending on your age.
- "Mature" - This is age discrimination and cannot be included in an advert.
- "Start bonus" unclear process, likely to result in error (and non-payment), appears to read like a scam! Would be surprised if get paid “start bonus”.
- "Current Photograph" - Discrimination claim waiting to happen, (un) conscious bias against: - women, race, age, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, gender reassignment, religion and belief.