Skip to content Skip to footer

Discretionary Assistance Fund

This advice applies to Wales

The Discretionary Assistance Fund (DAF) operates throughout Wales. Read about how to apply to the fund and what help it can give.

Top tips

To contact the Discretionary Assistance Fund, you can use the local rate number for calls from mobiles: 033 0101 5000, or the freephone number from landlines: 0800 859 5924.

Discretionary Assistance Fund

Crisis Loans and Community Care Grants from the DWP Social Fund ended on 31 March 2013.

The Discretionary Assistance Fund (DAF) has been set up by the Welsh Government and is managed by Northgate Public Services working in partnership with The Family Fund and Wrexham County Borough Council.

If you are having problems because you have not received a benefit, you may be able to ask for an advance payment of benefit.

DAF will provide grants in the form of:

  • Emergency Assistance Payments to help in an emergency or when there is an immediate threat to health or wellbeing, and
  • Individual Assistance Payments to help people to remain, or begin, living independently in the community.

The fund will not provide loans.

You do not need to be on any benefits to be eligible for an Emergency Assistance Payment. To be eligible for an Individual Assistance Payment you must be on certain benefits, or, if you are due to leave an institution or care home within 6 weeks, you must be likely to get one of those benefits on leaving.

How to apply

You can apply for help:

  • online using the link on the Money Made Clear Wales webpage at www.moneymadeclearwales
  • by phone on the local rate number for mobiles: 033 0101 5000, or the freephone from landlines: 0800 859 5924
  • by post, using the form available at www.moneymadeclearwales.

If you are on Universal Credit you may find it easier to apply by phone.

However you apply, you will need to answer a series of questions. Your answers will be scored and the decision on whether you will get a payment, and if so, how much, will depend on the score.

If you apply for a payment, DWP information will be used to check your details and ensure you are eligible. The Experian QAS database will be used to check your address. However, applications can also be accepted if you need to give an alternative address, or if you are homeless.

You should be aware that if, when dealing with your application, the fund managers are concerned about any child protection issues, or significant risk of harm to anyone, they will pass details to outside agencies such as social services or the police.

You can make the application yourself or somebody else can make it on your behalf.

You will be asked to provide bank details. You should be aware that if your account is overdrawn, or you are behind with payments on another account with the same bank, or if any other payment will be taken from the account before you have time to withdraw the payment from the fund, you may lose access to the money. To avoid the risk of this, you should explain when applying and ask to be paid in another way

Whether you get a payment or not, you will probably be advised to seek help with budgeting.

If you are not satisfied with the decision

If you are not happy with the way your application was dealt with, or with the decision made, you can consider making a complaint or asking for a review of the decision.

Contact details for DAF

Discretionary Assistance Fund
PO Box 2377
LL11 0LG

Freephone from landlines: 0800 859 5924
Local rate number for mobiles: 033 0101 5000
Email: (address for review requests only)

Other useful information

  • You can get information about other grant-making organisations on the Turn2us website at
  • Our budgeting tool is an online calculator which helps you list all your household income and expenditure
Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?
Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.