Skip to content Skip to footer

Individual Assistance Payments

Individual Assistance Payments are part of the Discretionary Assistance Fund (DAF) which operates throughout Wales. Read what an Individual Assistance Payment is, and who can get one.

What are Individual Assistance Payments (IAPs)

Individual Assistance Payments are part of the Discretionary Assistance Fund. They can be made to help people to remain, or begin, living independently in the community.

The level of support you may be offered will depend on the needs you list in the application and on your current circumstances, including whether you have any savings or access to other money.

You can apply for a payment for yourself or your family, or for someone that you care for, or intend to care for.

IAPs will usually be made in the form of pre-payment cards which will enable you to buy the items you have been awarded.

  • More about the type of payment you may get from the Discretionary Assistance Fund

Are you eligible for an IAP

You, or the person you care for, must be:

  • getting one of the following benefits, income support, income-based Jobseekers Allowance (JSA), income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Pension Credit (if you are on Universal Credit, see the next paragraph), or
  • getting a payment on account of one of the above benefits, or
  • due to leave an institution or care home within 6 weeks and likely to get one of those benefits or entitlements on leaving.

If you are on Universal Credit you may be eligible for an IAP. You can check this by phone on the local rate number for mobiles: 033 0101 5000, or the freephone from landlines: 0800 859 5924.

One of the following must also apply to you, or the person you care for:

  • you or they are leaving an institution within the next six weeks after having lived there for three consecutive months or more, or on a frequent and regular basis due to disability or circumstances. Examples of institutions include hospitals, care homes, homes and hostels, or prisons and detention centres
  • if you plan to care for someone leaving an institution, neither you nor they have any other means of meeting their need
  • you need help to stop you, or the person you care for, from being admitted to an institution
  • you need help as part of a planned resettlement, either after a period of homelessness or, if you are a young person, leaving supported accommodation
  • you need help to ease exceptional and urgent pressures currently experienced by you and your family, for example as a result of experiencing domestic violence, or increased needs of a family member due to disability, chronic illness, or an accident
  • you need help with one-off or short-term travelling expenses, which are considered essential to support you to continue to live independently in your community.

You cannot apply for an IAP for the same items or services, which you have previously applied for within the last 28 days, unless there has been a relevant change in your circumstances or you have experienced a disaster or emergency.

You may not be eligible for an IAP, or the amount you are awarded may be reduced, if you or your partner have any savings or capital totalling over £500 (or £1,000 if you or your partner is of pensionable age). If you are a prisoner, any payment awarded may be reduced by the value of any discharge grant or warrants made.

How can you apply.

You can apply, by phone, post or online.

More about how to apply to the Discretionary Assistance Fund

If you are not satisfied with the decision

If you are not happy with the way your application was dealt with, or with the decision made, you can consider making a complaint or asking for a review of the decision.

►More about Discretionary Assistance Fund - complaints and reviews

Did this advice help?