Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Council Tax Reduction - students

This advice applies to Wales

If you are a student, special rules decide if you are eligible for a Council Tax Reduction (CTR).

Most students don't have to pay council tax, but there are a few situations in which a student may be liable to pay. A student who is liable for council tax can't usually get a Council Tax Reduction, but there are some exceptions to this rule. If you are student who has received a council tax bill, you should get advice from your college or student advisory service about whether you are liable, and, if so, whether you can apply for a Council Tax Reduction.

If you are a student and you live with someone else who is not a student, for example your partner, they may be able to get a Council Tax Reduction

If you are a student and you want to apply for a Council Tax Reduction you should consult an experienced adviser, for example, at a Citizens Advice Bureau.

  • To search for details of your nearest CAB, including those that can give advice by email, click on nearest CAB

Next steps

Other useful information

  • For information on who has to pay council tax see: Council Tax
Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?
Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.