Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Council Tax Reduction - who can apply

This advice applies to Wales

If you're on a low income, you may be entitled to some help towards paying your council tax. This is called Council Tax Reduction (CTR).

Read this page to find out about who can apply for CTR.

If you were on Council tax benefit (CTB) on 31 March 2013 and your circumstances had not changed, you did not need to make a claim for Council Tax Reduction (CTR) as your existing Council tax benefit claim should have been treated as a claim for CTR.

If you are part of a couple one partner must make an application for a Council Tax Reduction (CTR) on behalf of both of you. The amount of reduction is worked out on the basis of your combined income and capital.

If you are a couple, your CTR may be higher if one partner is the CTR applicant than if the other applies. This can apply if one of you has reached the qualifying age for state Pension Credit but the other hasn't, or if one of you might be eligible for a premium

Are you classed as a pensioner for CTR

You are classed as a pensioner for CTR calculations if:

  • you have reached the qualifying age for state Pension Credit,and
  • neither you, nor your partner is receiving income support, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) or income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), or universal credit, and
  • if you are part of a couple and only one of you has reached the qualifying age for state Pension Credit, for your application to be assessed under the pensioner rules it should be the person who has reached Pension Credit age who is the CTR applicant.

What if you can't act for yourself

If you are unable to apply for CTR yourself, for example because you are in hospital, another person can apply on your behalf.

If you are only temporarily unable to act for yourself, someone can be an appointee. An appointee, must be aged 18 or over and must apply in writing to the local authority or Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)

If anyone has been appointed to act as your attorney or deputy, that person should make the application for your CTR.

Next Steps

Other useful information

  • You can find information about the qualifying age for state Pension Credit on the GOV.UK website. Go to
Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.