Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

How to claim working and child tax credits

This advice applies to Wales

The application process is the same for working and child tax credits, but you might not be eligible for both. Check if you can get working tax credits or child tax credits before you apply.

Getting a claim form

You’ll need to fill out a paper claim form to apply for tax credits. You can order a claim form online on GOV.UK, which you can use to apply for both working and child tax credits.

If you find it difficult to order a form online, or you’d rather speak to someone first, you can call the tax credits helpline:

HMRC tax credits helpline
Telephone: 0345 300 3900

Relay UK - if you can't hear or speak on the phone, you can type what you want to say: 18001 then 0345 300 3909

You can use Relay UK with an app or a textphone. There’s no extra charge to use it. Find out how to use Relay UK on the Relay UK website.

Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm. Saturday, 8am to 4pm

Welsh language telephone: 0300 200 1900
Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm

Calls cost up to 45p a minute from mobiles and up to 12p a minute from landlines. It should be free if you call from your mobile and have landline calls included in your contract.

Make a note of the date and time you call. Also write down the name of the person you spoke to and the HMRC office they work in - for example Preston or Belfast. You might need these details later in your application. 

Before you apply

It can take up to 2 weeks for your tax credits claim form to arrive, so it’s a good idea to use this time to gather all the documents you need.

You’ll need to show HMRC how much you earn each year. To work this out, look at:

  • your payslips
  • your P60 or P45
  • other income, such as money you get from a pension, savings or property

HMRC use this information to work out your tax credits, so they might get in touch to ask you for copies of these documents.

If you’re self-employed

Your income is based on your profits. For help with this, see how to claim tax credits if you’re self-employed.

If you’re applying for someone else

To apply for tax credits for someone else, you’ll need to fill in the ‘appointee’ section on the claim form. You’ll need to explain why the person you’re applying for can’t manage the claim on their own.

As an appointee, any tax credits will be paid straight into your bank account. You’ll also need to:

You’ll need to tell the Tax Credit Office if you want to stop being an appointee.

Filling in your claim form

When your claim form arrives, read each part carefully before you start to fill it in. If you aren’t sure about something on the form, contact your nearest Citizens Advice or call the tax credits helpline.

See getting your tax credits claim form right on GOV.UK for a step by step breakdown of each part of the form.

If you’re part of a couple

You’ll need to make a joint claim for tax credits if you’re married, in a civil partnership or living with your partner. 

HMRC looks at both you and your partner’s income to make a decision about your claim, so you’ll need to put your partner’s details on the form as well as your own.

Making a joint claim affects how much you’ll get. If you don't get this part of the form right, for example if you make a claim as a single person when actually you're part of a couple, HMRC might ask you to pay back tax credits in the future.

Call the tax credits helpline or contact your nearest Citizens Advice if you’re not sure whether you need to make a joint claim.

If you have children 

You can get child tax credits for each person you’re responsible for until they’re 16, or until they’re 20 if they stay in full-time education or approved training - check if you can get child tax credits before you apply.

If you share care of your children with another person, for example their other parent, the person who spends most time looking after the children should claim.

You can get extra tax credits to help with childcare costs for any children under 15, as long as your childcare provider is registered and approved. Make sure your childcare provider is registered and approved on the Care and Social Services Inspectorate website.

Put the details for your childcare provider in part 3 of the form, including their registration number. 

If you aren’t sure whether your childcare provider is registered and approved, contact your nearest Citizens Advice - an adviser can help you find out.

Working out your income

HMRC uses your income for the previous tax year to calculate your tax credits - this is what you earned for the 12 months up to 5 April. If you’re making a joint claim, your partner needs to put their income on the claim form too.

To work out your income, start with the ‘total for year’ amount on your P60 End of Year Certificate, then add any:

  • money from state benefits, like Jobseeker’s Allowance or Carer’s Allowance
  • interest on savings or pensions - but not on ISAs

If you had income from statutory paternity, maternity or adoption pay in the previous tax year, subtract £100 for each week you spent on leave.

If you currently earn over £2,500 more than you did in the last tax year, for example if you've had a pay rise, you should ask HMRC to use your estimated income from the current tax year instead. This is because you might be paid too much if HMRC use your previous tax year, and you might have to pay the money back.

Getting help with the claim form

You can get extra help with the claim process from HMRC if you find it difficult because:

  • you’re deaf or hearing-impaired
  • you’re blind or partially-sighted
  • English isn’t your first language

Find support options for your needs on GOV.UK.

If your disability makes any part of the claim process difficult, HMRC should make adjustments for you. Contact your nearest Citizens Advice for help arranging this.

Before you send the form

You should read through each part of the form again before you send it. Your claim could be delayed if part of the form is missing or incorrect.

When you’re ready, send your completed claim form in the prepaid envelope provided. If you don’t have a prepaid envelope, send the form to:

HM Revenue and Customs - Tax Credit Office
L75 1AZ

Send the form by Royal Mail Signed For and keep the receipt - you might need to prove when you posted it.

You’ll get a confirmation letter when your form arrives at HMRC - they’ll get in touch if they have any questions about your claim. 

If you have any questions about your claim, you can check the progress online on GOV.UK or call the tax credits helpline.

What happens next

Most new claims take 6 weeks or less from start to finish. If your claim is successful, your tax credits will be paid every 4 weeks into the bank account you put on the claim form. In some cases, HMRC can pay them every 2 weeks instead - call the tax credits helpline to request this.

Once you start claiming tax credits, it’s important that you let HMRC know within 1 month about any changes that could affect your claim. If you don’t let HMRC know about a change you might get overpayments, which you’d need to pay back later.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.