Skip to content Skip to footer

This advice applies to Wales. Change country

Can you use your blue badge abroad?

If you are disabled, you may be able to park in restricted areas under the blue badge scheme. The scheme is for drivers and passengers.

You may be able to use your blue badge if you travel abroad. This page explains where you can use your blue badge abroad and how you can find out about any local rules regarding its use.

Which countries can you use a blue badge in?

If you visit a country in the European Union plus any of the following non-EU countries in Europe, you may be able to use your blue badge in the same way as people who live in that country or area:

  • Guernsey
  • Iceland
  • Isle of Man
  • Jersey
  • Liechtenstein
  • Norway
  • Switzerland.

For a list of EU countries, see The European Union.

Each country or area has its own rules for the use of blue badges and what concessions it allows.

You can get more information and details from the European Commission website, at, and motoring organisations such as the AA or RAC.

You should always check whether the scheme operates before you park with your blue badge.

Can you use a blue badge in the UK if you are visiting from abroad?

If you are a visitor to the UK from an EU country or one of the countries listed above, you can use your blue badge in the same way as someone who lives in the UK. You must bring your badge with you, and can use it on your own vehicle or one you use while you are here.

If you are from outside the EU and other listed European countries you are not entitled to any parking concessions. However, if you have a disabled parking badge you can bring it with you and check with local police or the highways authority in the areas you’re visiting to see if they would recognise it.

Next steps

Other useful information

  • Get more information and advice on motoring abroad from the AA at
  • Get more information on motoring abroad from the RAC at